The Newport Chemical Depot (NECD) is a government owned-contractor operated facility, operated by the Mason and Hanger Corporation, a subsidiary of Day and and Zimmermann, since 1986. Located west of Indiana Highway 63 near Newport, Ind., the depot consists of approximately 7,000 acres. It is operated under the command of the U. S. Army Chemical Materials Agency (CMA). Originally authorized Nov.14, 1941, as the Wabash River Ordnance Works (WROW), NECD's mission has siginificantly changed over time: from the production of RDX, heavy water, VX and TNT, to storage of the VX stockpile, and eventually the neutralization of chemical agent VX. In addition to those missions, NECD's mission also encompasses environmental compliance and stewardship and maintaining plant facilities.