Newport Chemical Depot History
The Newport Chemical Depot (NECD) is a government-owned contractor-operated facility, amd since 1986 has been operated by the Mason and Hanger Corporation, a subsidiary of Day and and Zimmermann. Located west of Indiana Highway 63 near Newport, Ind., the depot consists of approximately 7,000 acres. It is operated under the command of the U. S. Army Chemical Materials Agency (CMA). Originally authorized on Nov. 14, 1941 as the Wabash River Ordnance Works (WROW), NECD's mission has significantly changed over time: from the production of RDX, heavy water, VX, and TNT; to the storage of the VX stockpile; and eventually the neutralization of chemical agent VX. Additionally, NECD's mission encompasses environmental compliance, stewardship, and maintaining plant facilities."