Wabash Valley Civil War Sesquicentennial Project
Civil War Locations in Marion County, Indiana
The Indiana Soldiers' and Sailors' Monument
The Indiana Soldiers' and Sailors' Monument is a beautiful monument located in the center of Indianapolis standing only fifteen feet shorter than the Statue of Liberty in New York City. The monument was completed in 1901 and dedicated in 1902. The monument is dedicated to Hoosier Soliders who had fought in the Revolutionary War, Battle of Vincennes, War of 1812, Mexican-American War and the Civil War. Its intricate limestone sculptures tell stories of war, peace, returning home, and restoration. The Colonel Eli Lilly Civil War Museum opened in 1999 and is located in the lower level of the monument.
Photo: Courtesy of IN.gov
Crown Hill National Cemetery
The Crown Hill National Cemetery is located on the northwest side of Indianapolis. Created in 1863, the cemetery was used to Union soliders that had passed away in nearby camps and hospitals. In addition to Union Soldiers,the cemetery was used to bury many Confederate soldiers who died while being held captive at the Morton Prison Camp as it was the principal mustering, recruiting, and encampment sitesfor many Hoosier regiments. After the fall of Forts Donelson & Henry in 1862, 15,000 Confederate soldiers were sent to POW camps such as Camp Morton between 1862 and 1865. Due to influx of these soldiers, Camp Morton was underprepared to handle the medical, food, and sanitary needs of the soldiers arriving at the Camp. As a result, more than 1,700 Confederate Soldiers died at Camp Morton, and these soldiers are currently buried in Section 32 at Crown Hill Cemetery. In 1989, with the efforts of the Indianapolis police officers sought to mark the graves of Confederate POWs, and in 1993, the Confederate Memorial in Crown Hill Cemetery was dedicated.
Today, it is the cemetery is the third largest non-governmental cemetery in the country, and was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1973.