Wabash Valley Civil War Sesquicentennial Project
Civil War Locations in Jefferson County, Indiana
Erected in 2004, and located at 7147 West State Road 250 in Lancaster, Indiana, the Lyman Holt marker recognizes the work of Lyman Holt, 1804-1857. As a well-known businessman in the area, he was highly involved in the work of the Neil's Creels Anti-Slavery Society as well as the Liberty Party. The goal of the Liberty party was to abolish slavery during the Civil War. He also condemned the work of the Fugitive Slave Law and supported the work of Eleutherian College, and aiding slaves traveling along the Underground Railroad to escape to freedom. The Lyman Hoyt home was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2003.
Jennings County Civil War Memorial
The Jennings County Civil War Memorial is located in Madison, Indiana. Located in front of the Civil War memorial is a shell which was fired in Vicksburg, Mississippi in 1863 by Union Trooops. The shell was presented to the City of Madison by the Widown of Dr. W.A. Collins, Assistant Surgeon of the Sixth Indiana Regiment.
Morgan’s Raid Marker
Erected in 1963, by the Indiana Civil War centennial commission, the Morgan's Raid Marker denotes activities of the Confederate troops under the leadership of General John Hunt Morgan in 1863. On July 11, 1863 in Dupont, Indiana, Confederate troops destroyed railroad tracks, burned bridges, freight cars and a warehouse as part of Morgan's Raid.
Eleutherian College is located in Lancaster, Indiana. As the college was constructed between 1854 and 1856, it is known as the first college in Indiana to accept students regardless of their gender or race. With a signifcant role in the Underground Railroad, as exempified by many of the college's trustees playing an active role in aiding runaway slaves escape to freedom in Lancaster, Indiana. The school is a symbolic fixture for the local community's beliefs in race relations and slavery.
Photo Credit: Cinda A. May